Sunday, April 5, 2009

Final Project ideas

Decisions, decisions, so many decisions...

For my INFO 511 class, I did a wiki on homemade glycerin soapmaking, which is my primary hobby. Thus, I don't think I can use that subject for the final project, as much as I would like to do so.

There are other subjects that interest me, such as opera and ballet, but I consider myself to be a relative newcomer to those areas, so I don't feel that I have much to say of interest to others. (I keep asking myself, "What could I possibly contribute that hasn't already been said about X...?") A secondary problem is that I have no original photographs that could be used for a website on opera or ballet, and I would have to navigate what royalty-free options were available, all in one term.

So, I looked over the other websites that previous INFO 652 students have made, and tentatively came up with some ideas that might work for the scope of a one-term project:

  • Candlemaking - Apart from soapmaking, I would like to explore candlemaking, particularly with soy and gel waxes. I would be a beginner, but I think I could do some basic projects and document them from a beginner's point of view. Then I could link to some more advanced resources and suppliers. My cousin, who has a BA in fine art (photography), is also a hobby candlemaker and I could get permission from her to post some of her work as well if she wanted to contribute to the site.
  • Used Bookstores in the Greater Philadelphia area - I love going to used bookstores and browsing. Since I think it's important to support independent bookstores, especially in this time of economic recession, I could create a site that documents the used/secondhand bookstores in the greater Philadelphia area. I would do a review of each, comment on their individual character, describe the location and special offerings (subject matter, availability of food and beverages, trading policies, etc.) and list address, hours, and contact information. I could take exterior photos and also include some interior photos with the permission of the owners.

Comments?

D.

9 comments:

  1. I really like the used bookstore directory, but it sounds like a ton of work! Maybe if you define some boundaries to 'reign it in' - the top ten? the least-well-known? I always look for a certain level of backlog disarray, and a shop cat - all good used bookstores have a cat in residence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think either idea sounds really interesting. I never have much success, but I do like trying to do crafty things. There is a lot you can do with candle making. Is there a technique for making dripless candles?

    The book store idea also has a lot of potential. In the area near me two used book stores have recently had to close because of the economy and Amazon.com. Perhaps to narrow your topic you could discuss how older used book stores are fairing today, how they are surviving. I know that Robin's bookstore in Philadelphia (which was founded in the 1930s) announced in November that is was going to close.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like both ideas as well, but I really like the candle making idea. Crafty website can appeal to a wide, yet defined audience. In addition, the options you have for this are endless as well. In addition to basic projects for beginners, you could background/history of candle making?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bookstore idea seems particularly useful - it would be good if every city had such a website! I especially like the exterior photos idea - such photos could keep interested parties from accidentally driving past a bookstore of interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also love going to old bookstores and rummaging around. I still miss the Book Trader on South Street. I know it's in Olde City now, but it isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big fan of the bookstore idea. You could make a guide to the top ten stores (as somebody else mentioned) and take pictures of both the outside and inside. You could even have a section of interviews with some of the owners about how they survive in the current economy, a how-to-guide on being a small, independent bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the used book Store idea is interesting. I was walking around Philly not far from Betsy Ross’ house. My friend and I came across a used book store. On a whim we went in to check it out. There was a book I lent a friend many years ago that she never returned. When I went to buy it online the cost was around $70 because it was out of print. I wanted to see if they had it and I found it for only $6.50! As a joke I mentioned another out of print book to my friend, she looked down and said, “You mean this one?” It was a fun way to spend my birthday! It would be nice to know where some good stores around that I could check out when I was in the area. You could also have an interesting personal angle on the stores history and how they are doing with the current economy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think soap making is the more interesting idea. It's something a lot of people, including myself, might not know anything about. I would be interested to know what the process is like and the various things that can be done with it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea about book stores as well. I hate to say it but I don't think there are that many more than 10 left in Philly anymore, and with Robbin's and Big Jar closed now..... I like the candle making idea too, and I would think you could take some really nice photos for that.

    ReplyDelete