Sunday, April 19, 2009

Saying no to "Creepy Treehouses"

In my INFO530 class we are discussing the use of information systems by libraries to create a form of competitive advantage. In one discussion, a classmate mentioned the concept of "creepy treehouse" - the "icky" forced feel of a website or resource that is so painfully obvious in trying to draw in younger viewers with the latest technologies. Here is a definition from Flexknowlogy.

As I mentioned before, I am already creeped-out by being contacted by members of my own high school class on Facebook. I don't want my site or blog turning into a "creepy treehouse". I don't think this site, focusing on secondhand bookstores in Philadelphia, will ever look like that.

However, as more libraries are jumping on the Web 2.0 bandwagon, I have to ask the questions:
  • What's the line between cool, acceptable, and creepy?
  • How do you keep your library's website or Facebook page from becoming a 'creepy treehouse'?
  • Do you charge younger, more electronically-connected people with its maintenance?
  • Do you solicit volunteer posts from students?

Doreva

No comments:

Post a Comment