Monday, April 13, 2009

Bibliofrugality: The Frugal Librarian's Guide to Secondhand Books in Philadelphia

Thanks to everyone who has left comments! I decided to pick the topic of used (secondhand) bookstores in the city of Philadelphia. As much as I love independent bookstores, there are simply too many to focus on and I do not want to duplicate the recent Philadelphia City Paper article focusing on indie bookstores in the area.

Instead, I want to focus on why secondhand bookstores are important. To me, they are the epitome of recycling and sustainability. One person's trash is another one's treasure. They are also a wonderfully frugal and economical source of great reads when you want to purchase a book instead of getting it from a library. Also, each bookstore has its own special character and niche that I find fascinating.

I have tentatively identified the first few bookstores to include, and this will expand in the next 2 weeks:
  • Book Trader – 2nd and Market St.
  • Walk a Crooked Mile Books – Devon and Gowen Streets, Mt. Airy
  • Bookhaven – Fairmount Avenue across from the Eastern State Penitentiary
  • The Book Corner – Friends of the Free Library- 20th street behind the Central Library branch (also mention of the fact that most of the Friends of the Free Library groups sell used books very cheaply at almost all FLP branches).
  • Whodunnit – bookstore specializing in mysteries and true crime – 19th and Chestnut Sts.
  • The Last Word Bookshop – 40th St. between Walnut and Locust Sts.
I would like to offer some basics: Name, website, address, contact information, directions via public transit, and link to a Google or Mapquest map. I will photograph at least the outside of each one myself.

For reviews, I will write a short paragraph that focuses on the strengths of each bookstore and also potentially other neighborhood higlights the customer might enjoy.

I am collecting some articles about each bookstore, to be able to place on a separate page in order to give an idea of history and relevance I may also see about what I can find in terms of the history of secondhand bookstores in general, and those in Philadelphia in particular. I plan to include some articles that reference frugality, economic savings, sustainability, and the culture of secondhand bookstores in general. I am not yet sure of the page structure or headings yet, but will update that when I have better ideas ready.

What do you think of this title: Bibliofrugality: The Frugal Librarian's Guide to Secondhand Books in Philadelphia ?

Doreva

10 comments:

  1. I think the title is clever, but a bit long. I wonder if it's possible to keep it, but make the first part the focus?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I think that makes good sense. Thanks!

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, you have something started with the title, but the repetition of the word "frugal" seems to be a bit redundant.

    I love this idea - over Spring break I was complaining that I knew of no secondhand bookstores in Philly. I walk past one occasionally - Famulus, on 22nd st., but never when it's open of course. It's in a really cool looking building, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bookhaven is hands-down my favorite bookstore in the city. But don't forget to visit House of Our Own! It's a used bookstore in a West Philly Victorian on 39th and Spruce. A stone's throw from Last Word.

    I like the title, but agree with others that it's a little bit long. If you just abbreviated everything you'd have:

    The Librarian's Guide to Used Books in Philly.

    ....I'm also very partial to Philadelphia puns. Phrugal Librarian? Used Book- adelphia? Wow, mine are pretty bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phrugal Librarian! I'm liking it. If I use it I will post my credit to you!

    Thanks for the tip on House of Our Own. I had forgotten that they also sold used books. I have not been there for so long - I'll check them out next week.

    - Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something else to include might be any policies the shops have regarding book donations. Do they pay anything? Do they accept all books, or only certain genres? Or any other information you think might be helpful for the first-time used book donor. I'm sure I have books in boxes in my parents' basement that I could easily give up, but I have trouble imagining who'd want some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for reminding me of that issue. Some of the stores pay cash; some pay only credit. The FLP bookstore offers a tax donation letter, but you have to call in advance in order to drop off books. Walk a Crooked Mile is temporarily suspending trade-ins. I'll be sure to outline each store's policies.

    - Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great project idea. I also agree that your title could probably be shortened a little bit just for user convenience. Including each stores' purchasing/trade-in policy is an excellent idea as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like Perry's suggestion of including the "Ph". Regarding your project, I'm actually excited to see your finished website. I've been wanting to find some good second hand book stores in Philly, but living in the suburbs I don't really know where to look.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the comments! What I envision this site to do is to start with Philadelphia and then add a page for PA Suburbs and maybe a page for NJ suburbs near Philly in the future. I have another year to go at the Drexel program so I see myself continuing the page. I would like to stay in the Delaware Valley area, but much depends upon what job prospects I get.

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete